ION-Z is a glass ionomer-based radiopaque self-curing material with bactericidal and dentinogenic active ingredients, with induction of dentinal neoformation, for the control of caries.
Characteristics and Advantages
• High bactericidal capacity.
• Reinforced with Zinc.
• Lower shrinkage during curing and excellent hygroscopic expansion: leading to a perfect marginal seal.
• Frees fluoride ions and acts as a rechargeable reservoir of this ion.
• High mechanical strength and chemical adhesion to enamel and dentin.
• Material is fast setting, favoring proper application.
• High smoothness of the surface: providing greater comfort to the patient and favorable aesthetics.
• Available in shades A1, A2 and A3.
• Proper viscosity that favors application in cavities.
• Provides excellent biocompatibility.
• “ART” technique (Atraumatic Restorative Treatment).
• Restoration of deciduous teeth (all classes).
• Provisional restorations in permanent teeth (all classes).
• Restoration of non-carious cervical lesions.
• Base for definitive restorations (“sandwich” technique).
Step by Step
Prepare cavity, removing only carious tissue with a manual or rotary instrument. Due to the adhesive nature of the material, there is no need for additional retentions during preparation.
With the help of a cotton ball or micro applicators (Cavibrush – FGM), apply a drop of the liquid phase of the product onto the walls of the cavity preparation for 10 seconds. Afterwards, rinse the cavity and remove any water excess, leaving it slightly damp. In deep cavities, apply liner base.
The product has two phases: powder and liquid. The correct ratio for the mixture is 1:1, so a level spoonful of powder (measurer included in the kit) should be mixed with one drop of liquid to obtain one portion. On a glass plate or spatulation block (included in the kit), the doses should be prepared, taking care to avoid the presence of bubbles in the liquid, which may cause variations in the ratio and change the rheological properties of the product.
With a plastic spatula, mix the powder into the liquid, initially in small fractions and gradually increasing the mixture is fully homogenized. The time for spatulation must be 30 seconds.
After mixing, the material will look shiny and the viscosity will be optimum for application. Using a number 1 spatula or similar, apply the material in the cavity in single or multiple increments, while it still appears shiny. In the case of large cavities and use of a single increment, take care not to leave bubbles in the restoration and, if necessary, perform the finger pressure technique, compressing the restorative material with a gloved and lubricated finger, against the walls of preparation. The chemical curing period is between 3 to 4 minutes and during this stage it is essential that the tooth is properly insulated, avoiding contamination of the preparation and the material.
After curing, remove the excess material and check the occlusion, preventing premature contact.
ION-Z is indicated for the ART technique mainly due to its bactericidal power, but all the other features work together in leading to this indication: release of fluoride ions, fast acting, excellent viscosity, high mechanical strength.
The powder and liquid must be proportioned according to the manufacturer’s instructions. During the powder dosing process it is very important to remove the excess from the scoop. The surface of the scoop should be scraped against the bottle’s plastic lid or against the straight edge of a spatula.
• The conventional liquid is viscous and to dispense it properly the bottle should be positioned vertically and at a distance from the plate that allows it to drop freely.
• Bottles must be well sealed to prevent the access or loss of water, since the cements are essentially water.
• The liquid should not be stored in the refrigerator, or it will lose its original properties.
The addition of too little powder results in a fluid mixture, increases the solubility and decreases the resistance to abrasion.
• The addition of too much powder results in a much shorter time of effectiveness, decreases adhesiveness and reduces translucency.
• The powder and the liquid must be proportioned according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
• The bottle of liquid should be positioned vertically and at a distance from the plate that allows it to drop freely.
• The bonding time must follow the Instructions for Use.
Information for the Professional
• Do not apply directly to the dental pulp. For deep cavities, the use of liner materials is recommended.
• Avoid contact with eyes. In the event of contact, rinse thoroughly with running water and contact a doctor immediately.
• Avoid prolonged contact of the liquid phase of the product with the skin, as there is a risk of irritation. In the event of contact, rinse thoroughly with running water.
The application of the product directly to the dental pulp can cause irritation and irreversible damage.
• Keep the bottles of the product in their original packaging, always well sealed.
• Store the product in a dry place at a temperature between 15 and 30 °C.
• Do not store the liquid in a refrigerator.
• Storage of the product alongside products with eugenol, phenol or P-monochlorophenol bases is not recommended.
• The validity of the ION-Z is two years from the date of its manufacture.
• Do not use the product after its expiration date.